www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:29:52 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Well, this is a lawyer issue: every time I asked a lawyer what I am
> supposed to do with code I found on the internet and does not have any
> reference to the copyright and the license under which it is distributed
> he told me: NOTHING.
>
> So all of my considerations started from this.

But ask that same lawyer whether it is better when distributing code to
post the license in more places rather than fewer and he'll say MORE.
One should be conservative in both cases: one should not use other's
things without clear permission, and one should make as clear as
possible to others the conditions in which one's things may be used.

We don't intend subversion as a release distribution, but it is a draft
distribution, and drafts should resemble the final product.  It would be
good to add a disclaimer to subversion (as someone suggested), but
removing license terms wouldn't help anything and might hurt.

Doug