www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:27:18 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Well, what's the problem is some (unqualified) user might consider
> subversion a distribution?

This is not about what a user might think but what a court might think.
  We would first argue that we only consider releases distributions, and
provide as evidence our release procedures (vote on artifact, not tag),
our website structures (svn only mentioned in developer areas), etc.
But, if someone were to argue that svn was a distribution, we'd like to
be able to respond, as a backup, that, even if someone mistakenly
thought that svn was intended as a distribution, they still got a
LICENSE and NOTICE file and should still respect them.

> If they don't find a valid LICENSE and NOTICE
> telling them what they can do with what they downloaded then they can't
> do anything [ ... ]

Or they can perhaps do whatever they please.  If you find a 5$ bill on
the sidewalk, whose is it?

Doug