www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:34:03 GMT
simon wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:14 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> That publication (even without a formal release) is still under the
>> terms of our license, and because the ASF requires a couple lines
>> in NOTICE for all of our projects, the LICENSE and NOTICE files must
>> be in subversion (typically at the level under trunk).  The contents
>> are based on the source code within that tree.
>>
>> Tweaking maven such that it appends to the NOTICE file any additional
>> missing (non source tree) required notices for a particular build is
>> okay, though I bet it will be error-prone.
>
> Sorry, but after reading this several times I still don't get this. It
> seems to me that the first paragraph says that we must have a static
> NOTICE file, while the second says that we can have a dynamic one.

The hard requirement is that public distributions should have a NOTICE
file that accurately represents the distribution.  recisely how to
achieve this in every conceivable distribution mechanism is not
specified, and requires the application of common sense.

In the first paragraph, Roy notes that it's a good idea to put a NOTICE
file with the code in subversion, since some folks might consider
subversion a distribution.  In the second, Roy indicates that, if you're
constructing a distribution automatically, then you might be able to
construct the NOTICE file automatically too, but that he fears that
could be error-prone.  He's applied common sense to the particulars of
your situation as he understands it.

> Do we require a static NOTICE file in subversion?

Yes, some might consider subversion a distribution.

> If so, then how can it
> be right to embed a dynamic one in our distribution?

If the distribution contains things that require NOTICE file entries but
which are not in your subversion source tree, i.e., that are bundled in
by Maven, then they must be included in the NOTICE file of that
distribution.

> If it is permitted to distribute a dynamic NOTICE in our distribution,
> then why would we have to have a static one checked into subversion?

Because some might consider the source tree a distribution.

> Or is it the case that we need a static NOTICE to cover the code
> actually held under the project itself, but can dynamically append
> NOTICE information belonging to projects it depends on (links to)?

Yes, if by "link" you mean "includes in the distribution".  If a
distribution merely requires another artifact, then it needn't include
its notices.  But if a distribution includes an artifact that requires
additions to the NOTICES file, then the NOTICES file in that
distribution should be updated to include those additions.

Doug