www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:10:50 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> 1. Could you explain your concept of "website" as an artifact here?  It
> seems to me that its entirely possible to view a particular file via svn
> without knowing much of anything about what else may be in svn.  Why
> isn't it required to include the contents of the NOTICE file in every
> source file?  I don't really see how we could expect anyone to find the
> applicable NOTICE file in svn otherwise.

It is sufficient to assume that people understand hierarchies, and that
for .../src/apache/org/coolclass/coolclass.java, one can find a NOTICE
and LICENSE in .../src/apache/org/coolclass/, failing that in
.../src/apache/org/, failing that in .../src/apache/, and finally
failing that in .../src.  But somewhere in the chain these must exist,
per ASF policy.

> 2. Assuming that it's plausible for a NOTICE file to be in svn in some
> more or less well defined location, what are the PMC responsibilities
> for assuring its accuracy?  For instance, suppose someone includes some
> source code that requires a change to the NOTICE file, but no one
> notices this is necessary for a period of time - a minute, a day, a
> week, until the next release.  IIUC one of the major responsibilities of
> the PMC vote on a release is to assure the accuracy of the NOTICE files
> in it.  Does  regarding the svn repo as a distribution imply that the
> PMC must vote on every commit to assure the NOTICE file is up to date?
> If not, what accuracy can we assume in the NOTICE file?

It's sufficient to correct any oversight the moment it's noticed, and
there's a reason we call svn management either review-then-commit, or
commit-then-review.  In both cases there is a *review* :)

There's a different standard applied to svn vs. a release, as you just
implied.  That's not a reason to intentionally fail to document the
NOTICE and LICENSE within the scope of source code they apply to.

> Also, could someone point out where I could find the wording of the
> board's decision regarding the notice that all projects must carry?

See special order 6C;

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2006/board_minutes_2006_05_24.txt