www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:43:47 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> The NOTICE file exists to fulfill our obligations under our license
>> and the licenses of any third-party code that we redistribute.
>> We try to be as proactive about that as possible.  The NOTICE is
>> in subversion because the board added a notice that all of our
>> projects must carry.  It needs to be in subversion when a
>> third-party something that requires such a notice is also within
>> subversion.  Finally, each release package's NOTICE must reflect
>> all of the required notices of all of the parts within that package.
>>
>> Whether or not all three are the same static file or each one
>> is dynamically constructed based on the package/tree in question
>> just doesn't matter.  What matters is that the required notices
>> are always in the relevant NOTICE when they are required.

+1 (and the background examples/rational were well put).

> I'm afraid that this doesn't address my question for a pointer to where
> it is documented.

Certainly it's an FAQ that should be documented somewhere, but AIUI we
never had a specific guide to cvs / svn policies, we only have a long
history of collective wisdom...

> I don't think this email thread archive qualifies as the definitive
> policy. :-(

Contrawise, it's exactly the policy and a good statement of why it
exists; and as you point out it's worth adding to a document somewhere.
Roy was being nice enough to point it out to you, but it certainly is
and has been policy since we permitted copyrights to be placed in an
external file instead of each individual file.

Bill