www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Publishing GPL’ed files on Apache web servers
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:25:48 GMT
On Jan 30, 2008 5:43 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 17:11, Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > As I understand the policy [2] – it is targeted to Apache products.
> > That IMO doesn't apply to my case – i.e. the files are not included to
> > any Apache product that is released to the end users.  So From my POV
> > it is OK to put them to my home page.
>
> AFAIK, there is not much policy around the provided home page spaces, other
> than that we are expected not to bloat the storage. That doesn't mean we can
> do whatever we like within the limits of law.
> And I am sure that your post will trigger a small debate on what the policy
> should be.
>
> *Personally*, I think it would be Ok (provided that the reports generated are
> relatively small and garbage collected somehow)...
>
> As a comparison, Gump uses/used Kaffe to build and/or test the entire ASF
> codebase nightly, to help accelarate choices in JDKs/JVMs. It sounds fairly
> similar to me.

Not only is it similar to that, it is similar to somebody using EMACS
to edit a text file.

The *only* *potential* sticking point is that one CSS file, and as has
been stated, it is a policy issue not a legal issue.

One CSS file used to style a report published on a home page host by
the ASF is not something that would concern me.  If it were to be
included in a product, or if the home page were to effectively be
positioned as a distribution vehicle, then it would.

- Sam Ruby