www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <jerem...@apache.org>
Subject Crypto export question
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:12:36 GMT
Bill Rowe's message about crypto export triggered me to review the
necessity for the crypto export crap for the XML Graphics project but
not being natively english speaking I'm not sure I've understood the
whole thing correctly. So please help me verify:

Apache FOP uses the javax.crypto package for optional encryption of PDF
documents it can generate. The only symmetric cypher currently
used/supported is a 40bit RC4. And MD5 is used as a message digest
algorithm. While PDF supports stronger cryptography, Apache FOP does not
support it, yet. Am I right that in this case we don't need to go
through this waste of time?

I apologize for the wording above but it's my expression of what I think
about the effectiveness of such measures.

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki