www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:59:27 GMT

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Doug Cutting ha scritto:
> >> Do we require a static NOTICE file in subversion?
> >
> > Yes, some might consider subversion a distribution.
>
> Well, what's the problem is some (unqualified) user might consider
> subversion a distribution? If they don't find a valid LICENSE and
> NOTICE telling them what they can do with what they downloaded then
> they can't do anything, so we are much more safe by not providing a
> LICENSE/NOTICE file compared to provide one that could be not updated
> wrt the svn content.
>
> *NOT* having the LICENSE/NOTICE at all would enforce that it is NOT a
> distribution. The ALv2 header says "See the NOTICE file distributed
> with this work" and if you downloaded the file from svn there is no
> concept of "work", neither of "NOTICE file distributed with it".

Or, to go one furthur: could we add a "DISCLAIMER" to trunk that
specifically says "This is NOT an official distribution.   If you want a
distribution, go to http://project.apache.org/download" or similar to
make it perfectly clear to anyone going that route that svn is not a
distribution.

Dan

> IMHO if the reasoning behind this thread is that some might consider
> subversion a distribution, then the requirement should be the opposite
> of what is the current policy.
>
> Just my opinion, and IANAL.
> Stefano

J. Daniel Kulp