www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:26:57 GMT
On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Craig L Russell wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008, at 2:58 PM, simon wrote:
> > Do we require a static NOTICE file in subversion? If so, then how
> > can it
> > be right to embed a dynamic one in our distribution?
>
> The only way I can reconcile these two competing approaches is for the
> maven license plugin to be configured to *check* licenses and create a
> LICENSE and/or NOTICE file that are consistent with the release
> artifacts. The created/modified files can then be checked in manually.

Well, one thought would be to have antrun configured in the release
profile as part of release:prepare to copy the generated one over the
one currently on trunk/NOTICE so it gets committed as part of
release:prepare.   (Providing release:prepare commits all changed stuff
and not just the updated poms individually)   Thus, whenever you do a
release, the latest dynamic one is automatically promoted to the trunk.
It would then get tagged correctly, etc...

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA