www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <jerem...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FCKeditor
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:48:43 GMT
(IANAL)

Careful! The Apache License 2.0 is compatible to the GPLv3 but not the
other way around! You can use ALv2 software in GPL software but using
GPL-licensed software in Apache products is a strict no-go.

However, it seems you can still use FCKeditor but only under the MPL,
i.e. as a "Category B: Binary Licenses Only".

On 06.01.2008 21:06:34 Felix Knecht wrote:
> Sorry, took wrong mail sender address (not the one I subscribed)
>

> Dear all
>
> After reading a draft of third party license policy (http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html)
and reading the FAQs
> (http://apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL) I'm still need some help if it's
a no go or not.

> I'd like to integrate FCKeditor in the Apache Cocoon project. FCKeditor is distributed
with different licenses like GPL,
> LGPL, MPL, CDL (http://www.fckeditor.net/license).
>
> OOH the draft says that GPL is a nogo, OTH the FAQ says that GPLv3.0 is compatible to
Apache License 2.0.

> FCKeditor licence.txt says:
> <zitate>
> FCKeditor - The text editor for Internet - http://www.fckeditor.net
> Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Frederico Caldeira Knabben
>
> Licensed under the terms of any of the following licenses at your
> choice:
>
>  - GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL")
>    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
>    (See Appendix A)

> </zitate>
>
> Following the FAQ I can integrate FCKeditor without any problems in Apache Cocoon just
adding the source of FCKeditor
> into the cocoon code (FCKeditor uses GPLv2 or later --> later ==GPLv3 which is compatible
to the Apache License).

> After all my question:
>
> Is it really that simple and I can integrate FCKeditors source code without any problems
into Apache Cocoon?

> Thanks for your help
> Felix

Jeremias Maerki