www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generated NOTICE files - is the content legal?
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:32:40 GMT

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 08:08 +0000, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Questions[1][2] have been raised on an Apache Commons regarding
> whether the contents of the NOTICE file which has been generated using
> the maven-remote-resources plugin[3] and apache-jar-resource-bundle[4]
> is legal. For example Commons FileUpload 1.2.1 which is currently
> being voted on includes the following NOTICE file:
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~niallp/fileupload-NOTICE.txt
>
> FileUpload depends on Apache Commons IO (which is not included in the
> release distro) and as you can see above the generated file includes
> details of the dependency's owner and license. I've looked at the "ASF
> Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy":
>   http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>
> ... which clearly doesn't require this - but it seems like a
> nice-to-have feature and I can't see anything wrong with it.

the phrasing is much better than it used to be. i've been critical in
the past of this plugin but to be fair, the maven team have done a good
job in responding positively.

> Theres quite a bit of emotive discussion regarding generting this file, but
> the specific question in hand is:
>
>    "Is there anything legally wrong with the contents of the Commons
> FileUpload NOTICE file which should prevent its release?"

looks ok to me (as far as it goes)

note that i can produce counter examples where the plugin won't work

it now does a good job of dependencies but does not automatically pick
up notices required by donated source code. to work correctly in these
circumstances would require RAT integration code i haven't found the
energy to write yet.

so, providing that none of the source requires additional copyright
notes or notices it should be fine.

- robert