www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From simon <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:27:11 GMT

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:14 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> > One possible danger of including the NOTICE file in svn is that
> > it's likely to be audited by the PMC only when a release is
> > prepared.  Including it in svn may imply to the unwary observer
> > that it is accurate at all times.  Wouldn't requiring it to be
> > accurate at all times mean the PMC would have to vote on the NOTICE
> > file after every commit?
> >
> That publication (even without a formal release) is still under the
> terms of our license, and because the ASF requires a couple lines
> in NOTICE for all of our projects, the LICENSE and NOTICE files must
> be in subversion (typically at the level under trunk).  The contents
> are based on the source code within that tree.
>
> Tweaking maven such that it appends to the NOTICE file any additional
> missing (non source tree) required notices for a particular build is
> okay, though I bet it will be error-prone.

Sorry, but after reading this several times I still don't get this. It
seems to me that the first paragraph says that we must have a static
NOTICE file, while the second says that we can have a dynamic one.

Do we require a static NOTICE file in subversion? If so, then how can it
be right to embed a dynamic one in our distribution?

If it is permitted to distribute a dynamic NOTICE in our distribution,
then why would we have to have a static one checked into subversion?

Or is it the case that we need a static NOTICE to cover the code
actually held under the project itself, but can dynamically append
NOTICE information belonging to projects it depends on (links to)? But
your earlier reply stated that a NOTICE should only cover the code
actually internal to the project and not stuff in mandatory dependencies
(unless we are distributing a bundle that includes dependencies, but
that's not the topic here).

Regards,

Simon