www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:58:48 GMT

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:14 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> That publication (even without a formal release) is still under the
> terms of our license, and because the ASF requires a couple lines
> in NOTICE for all of our projects, the LICENSE and NOTICE files must
> be in subversion (typically at the level under trunk).  The contents
> are based on the source code within that tree.
>
> Tweaking maven such that it appends to the NOTICE file any additional
> missing (non source tree) required notices for a particular build is
> okay, though I bet it will be error-prone.

Sorry, but after reading this several times I still don't get this. It
seems to me that the first paragraph says that we must have a static
NOTICE file, while the second says that we can have a dynamic one.

Do we require a static NOTICE file in subversion? If so, then how can it
be right to embed a dynamic one in our distribution?

If it is permitted to distribute a dynamic NOTICE in our distribution,
then why would we have to have a static one checked into subversion?

Or is it the case that we need a static NOTICE to cover the code
actually held under the project itself, but can dynamically append
NOTICE information belonging to projects it depends on (links to)?

Regards,

Simon