www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:49:02 GMT
Doug Cutting ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Well, what's the problem is some (unqualified) user might consider
>> subversion a distribution?
>
> This is not about what a user might think but what a court might think.

IANAL, but I doubt that a court will tell something like:
User X downloaded http://svn.apache.org/some/random/file and he can do
anything with this file unless the website had a
http://svn.apache.org/some/NOTICE telling him he cannot do that. IANAL,
but I hardly can believe this.

But I think we are mixing policies, personal preferences and legal issues.

>> If they don't find a valid LICENSE and NOTICE telling them what they
>> can do with what they downloaded then they can't do anything [ ... ]
>
> Or they can perhaps do whatever they please.  If you find a 5$ bill on
> the sidewalk, whose is it?

Well, this is a lawyer issue: every time I asked a lawyer what I am
supposed to do with code I found on the internet and does not have any
reference to the copyright and the license under which it is distributed
he told me: NOTHING.

So all of my considerations started from this.

Stefano