www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:33:48 GMT
Henri Yandell ha scritto:
> I think NOTICE/LICENSE should be there because it's a common and well
> understood approach. Having to build a project to find out the
> licensing terms of trunk is very lame.

I think it is wrong if we let people think that the NOTICE in svn are
always right OR that building a random source tree will result in a
package containing *correct* LICENSE/NOTICE files.

We, PMC members, just make sure that packages we officially release have
valid NOTICE/LICENSE files. Everything in svn, not yet part of a
release, SHOULD NOT BE redistributed under the same terms of the
releases we will maybe one day cut from that tree.

Otherwise we'll have to make sure that every sandbox, every test branch,
every place in the svn tree at every single time contains valid and
correct NOTICE and LICENSE files. If this is the case I think the best
way to make sure we comply with this requirement is to add a
NOTICE/LICENSE to every folder containing the following disclaimer:
------
This is not a distribution site, but a developers area.
You don't have any right on the content of this folder.
You *may* find official releases of this code here:
<an address for the releases>
-------

Stefano