www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Copyright notices attached to JIRA issues
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:33:28 GMT
A contributor attached a patch to this JIRA issue: https://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-331

The problem is that:

1. The new files contributed with the patch conform to the guidance
"How to apply the Apache License to your own work" at the bottom of

2. The new files contributed don't conform to the guidance "Source
File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" at http://www.apache.org/
legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright

Seems that contributors think that the guidance at 1 applies to
submitted patches. And I can easily see how they might think that.

So, can I take the JIRA note "Grant license to ASF for inclusion in
ASF works (as per the Apache License ยง5)" to satisfy the requirement
that "copyright owner (or owner's agent) must ... provide written
permission for the ASF to make such removal or relocation of the
notices."

How can we get JIRA contributions to have the proper notice?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PMC