www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:33:24 GMT

On Dec 17, 2007, at 11:37 AM, sebb wrote:

> There is a discussion going on at present in Incubator (and Commons)
> regarding the NOTICE and LICENSE files.
>
> Everyone accepts that these files need to be present in release
> artefacts, but there is no such consensus as to whether the files need
> to be in SVN, and if so, where should they be in the tree when a
> project consists of multiple sub-trees such as UIMA and Commons.

If they're not in svn, then how can the release be built from source?
I must be missing something fundamental.

But if the issue is that some folks think that the NOTICE and LICENSE
files must occur multiple times in multiple places in the source
tree, that sounds absurd. The only time the NOTICE and LICENSE files
have any real meaning is in distribution artifacts. And we (the PMC
responsible) should examine the distribution artifacts themselves to
verify that the files are correct.

Craig