www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ruby license and Ruby packaging
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:24:49 GMT
On Aug 29, 2007 2:53 PM, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're thinking of proposing buildr [1] for the Apache Incubator. However
> buildr is a Ruby project and there are a few associated legal hurdles on the
> way. So I have a few questions:
>
> 1. The Ruby interpreter is not really a problem (just like the JDK isn't a
> problem),

Yep, it's environmental and installed by the user. If we had a JNLP,
then the JDK might do an automatic upgrade or something; but I think
you get a click through license.

> however a lot of libraries in the Ruby ecosystem reuse the Ruby
> license [2]. Is it compatible with the ASL and would it be authorized for
> third-party inclusion in an Apache work?
>
> 2. Ruby distribution heavily relies on the RubyGems [3] packaging system. In
> many ways it's very similar to Linux packaging systems, like APT. In short
> it handles third party dependencies for a given software by installing them,
> after asking. So if you try to install "foo" and if "foo" depends on "bar"
> and "baz", it will ask you whether you also want to install "bar" and "baz"
> and if so, will download them from a central repository and install them for
> you. In this context, does the licenses of third-party dependencies matter
> as none of them are actually distributed?
>
> Buildr as several dependencies toward Ruby License third party softwares and
> a couple ones toward LGPL software (that wouldn't be that easy to remove),
> which normally wouldn't be kosher at all. However given that none of them
> are distributed, would that matter?

The answer I've always seen on this is that it has to be apparent to
the user that they are installing them, and that they see the license;
rather than magic that happens in the background.

Hen