www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright notices attached to JIRA issues
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:58:38 GMT
On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 14:33 -0800, Craig L Russell wrote:
> A contributor attached a patch to this JIRA issue: https://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-331
>
> The problem is that:
>
> 1. The new files contributed with the patch conform to the guidance
> "How to apply the Apache License to your own work" at the bottom of
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
> 2. The new files contributed don't conform to the guidance "Source
> File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" at http://www.apache.org/
> legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright
>
> Seems that contributors think that the guidance at 1 applies to
> submitted patches. And I can easily see how they might think that.

yes

(in fact, until relatively recently we used to ask contributors to do
#1)

> So, can I take the JIRA note "Grant license to ASF for inclusion in
> ASF works (as per the Apache License ยง5)" to satisfy the requirement
> that "copyright owner (or owner's agent) must ... provide written
> permission for the ASF to make such removal or relocation of the
> notices."

AIUI that applies to copyright declarations and to NOTICEs. the
boilerplate code is just a description of the license and so changing
just the boilerplate whilst retaining any copyright declaration should
be ok. hopefully people will jump in and correct me if i'm mistaken.

> How can we get JIRA contributions to have the proper notice?

i don't have a good answer to this :-/

one way is to ask the contributor

- robert