www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Daniel Stefan Haischt" <daniel.hais...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Help] Donating BSD code base to Apache as a base of an Apache lab project
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:01:29 GMT
Justin,

many thanks for your quick reply. My comments are below...

NOTE: I put Manuel Kasper, the m0n0wall project founder on CC, because
he is the person who is going to contribute code to the ASF.

On 11/27/07, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> It's not a copyright transfer - we only ask for a copyright license.
> So, original statements can stay intact if the person isn't involved.
> However, see:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>
> for our policy on code written within the ASF, we require that
> required copyright notices from our contributors are restricted to the
> NOTICE file and not embedded in the source code.  For examples, see:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/NOTICE
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/NOTICE.txt

Okay that's what I figured out meanwhile and I told the original
m0n0wall project founder that ASF does not mention the authors
explicitely per source file but is using a so-called NOTICES file.

> etc.
>
> > For example if John Doe did contribute feature foo bar to m0n0wall,
> > will the code donated to the ASF still reflect this contribution?
>
> Certainly - if John Doe is around, then such required attributions
> should be in NOTICE.  If he's not around, then it should stay
> whereever it is.

Can you please eloborate on what you mean by 'is around'?

> > Or will it be necessary, that each m0n0wall contributor must fill a
> > ICLA to transfer his individual IP to the ASF?
>
> Yes, they must still file an iCLA - but it's not a transfer, only a
> license.  IOW, they still hold copyright on their portion.  -- justin

Here we may have an issue. Manuel just told me that he is quite
uncertain about whether he really knows each contributer who did
contribute to m0n0wall in form of code, patches or documentation. This
is probably the case because in smaller open source projects you are
not tracking every contribution which was made to the project.

Will there be a certain degree of assistance during the code transfer?
Do we have to execute a code scan to ensure that there is no IP
violation to a particular extend or that there is no potential
licencing infringement?

Regards
Daniel S. Haischt