www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Maven Cobertura Plugin - GPL Javascript files
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:42:48 GMT
"Niall Pemberton" <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote on 11/18/2007 08:35:45
PM:

> Some java projects are using the maven cobertura[1] plugin[2] which
> checks the code coverage of tests, producing a HTML report (see
> Commons Math[3] for example). The report is a combination of HTML,
> CSS, image and javascript files. The Javascript files have different
> licenses:
>
> 1) customsorttypes.js has a GPL license
> 2) sortabletable.js and stringbuilder.js are available under three
licenses:
>     - WebFX Non-Commercial License
>     - WebFX Commercial license
>     - GPL license
>
> See the license headers in those files here:
>     http://commons.apache.org/math/cobertura/js/
>
> Is it acceptable to distrubute these files as part of a projects
> documentation in a release?

Subject to being corrected, I'd expect the answer to be no.  I don't think
GPL is on the list of approved licenses for included components of an
Apache project.  Are the javascript files really necessary?  Can cobertura
plugin produce a different format output that doesn't require those files?
Jeff

> Niall
>
> [1] http://cobertura.sourceforge.net/
> [2] http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-cobertura-plugin/
> [3] http://commons.apache.org/math/cobertura/index.html

Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/