www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jesse Kuhnert" <jkuhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven Cobertura Plugin - GPL Javascript files
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:27:33 GMT
FYI,  the files mentioned do have apache compatible license
equivalents in Dojo (http://dojotoolkit.org/downloads ) or probably a
few other javascript toolkits out there.    The sortable table /
string utilities / etc. implementations should be more than enough to
handle whatever cobertura needs them for.

On Nov 19, 2007 10:42 AM, Jeffrey Thompson <jthom@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote on 11/18/2007 08:35:45
> PM:
>
> > Some java projects are using the maven cobertura[1] plugin[2] which
> > checks the code coverage of tests, producing a HTML report (see
> > Commons Math[3] for example). The report is a combination of HTML,
> > CSS, image and javascript files. The Javascript files have different
> > licenses:
> >
> > 1) customsorttypes.js has a GPL license
> > 2) sortabletable.js and stringbuilder.js are available under three
> licenses:
> >     - WebFX Non-Commercial License
> >     - WebFX Commercial license
> >     - GPL license
> >
> > See the license headers in those files here:
> >     http://commons.apache.org/math/cobertura/js/
> >
> > Is it acceptable to distrubute these files as part of a projects
> > documentation in a release?
>
> Subject to being corrected, I'd expect the answer to be no.  I don't think
> GPL is on the list of approved licenses for included components of an
> Apache project.  Are the javascript files really necessary?  Can cobertura
> plugin produce a different format output that doesn't require those files?
> Jeff
>

> > Niall
> >
> > [1] http://cobertura.sourceforge.net/
> > [2] http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-cobertura-plugin/
> > [3] http://commons.apache.org/math/cobertura/index.html
> >

> Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
> (notes) jthom@ibmus  (internet) jthom@us.ibm.com (home) jeff@beff.net
> (web) http://www.beff.net/

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer