www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: copieing sources in to a maven-plugin
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:42:01 GMT

On Nov 25, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> yes and no.
>
> You can NOT copy files from EPL into an ASL project, or modify them
> in an ASL project. However you can take a binary (jar) dependency on
> an EPL binary. So you would have to copy the jar that the source is
> in. However, the source or part of the jar is also not permitted by
> the combination of ASL / EPL. i.e. only binary dependencies on EPL
> will work under ASL. Cliff has a good page posted on topic posted.

Carl,
One correction... There are some cases where Category B licensed
source files can be copied into an ASF project (according to http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html#category-b

  which I believe is an updated version of Cliff's older document).
The files have to be non-volatile in nature (e.g. standards based) and
consumed during runtime (not buildtime). A common example would be
category B licensed xml schema files (xsd and dtd files).

It sounds like the source files that you mention would be against ASF
policy (and would apply to any ASF project). However, this policy does
not necessarily apply to an 'ASL project'. That would be a project
decision...

--kevan