www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [Help] Donating BSD code base to Apache as a base of an Apache lab project
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:27:36 GMT
On Nov 27, 2007 11:01 AM, Daniel Stefan Haischt
<daniel.haischt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Okay that's what I figured out meanwhile and I told the original
> m0n0wall project founder that ASF does not mention the authors
> explicitely per source file but is using a so-called NOTICES file.

Yup.

> > Certainly - if John Doe is around, then such required attributions
> > should be in NOTICE.  If he's not around, then it should stay
> > whereever it is.
>
> Can you please eloborate on what you mean by 'is around'?

First off, we require that all committers to a project have an iCLA on
file before they get commit access.  So, if John Doe will be given
commit access to the project, then he'll be expected to move his
contribution notices into the NOTICE file away from the source code.

If John isn't going to be a committer (and doesn't explicitly consent
otherwise), then the notice should stay where it is.

> Here we may have an issue. Manuel just told me that he is quite
> uncertain about whether he really knows each contributer who did
> contribute to m0n0wall in form of code, patches or documentation. This
> is probably the case because in smaller open source projects you are
> not tracking every contribution which was made to the project.

What license was m0n0wall originally under?

If it was a BSD license (as the subject suggests), then what we can do
is get as much paperwork as we can - relicense those bits under the
ALv2 and then leave the rest under the BSD license.

> Will there be a certain degree of assistance during the code transfer?

Guiding you through the entire Incubation process is what the mentors
will help you out with.

> Do we have to execute a code scan to ensure that there is no IP
> violation to a particular extend or that there is no potential
> licencing infringement?

While it's not intended to be used for new projects (like m0n0wall),
we have an IP clearance form that details what we expect:

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

The Incubation process will eventually guide you through a similar checklist.

Hope this helps.  -- justin