www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [Help] Donating BSD code base to Apache as a base of an Apache lab project
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:15:15 GMT
On Nov 27, 2007 8:52 AM, Daniel Stefan Haischt <dsh@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/27/07, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > That project sounds interesting.  I do hope that you meant Apache Incubator,
> > not Apache Labs.  If you send e-mail to general@incubator.apache.org, we can
> >  help you through the process.
> >

> Regarding the m0n0wall code contribution Manual Kasper, the m0n0wall
> project founder, just asked whether if he transfers the code to the
> ASF the copyright statements of each author who did contribute will
> stay intact?

It's not a copyright transfer - we only ask for a copyright license.
So, original statements can stay intact if the person isn't involved.
However, see:

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

for our policy on code written within the ASF, we require that
required copyright notices from our contributors are restricted to the
NOTICE file and not embedded in the source code.  For examples, see:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/NOTICE
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/NOTICE.txt

etc.

> For example if John Doe did contribute feature foo bar to m0n0wall,
> will the code donated to the ASF still reflect this contribution?

Certainly - if John Doe is around, then such required attributions
should be in NOTICE.  If he's not around, then it should stay
whereever it is.

> Or will it be necessary, that each m0n0wall contributor must fill a
> ICLA to transfer his individual IP to the ASF?

Yes, they must still file an iCLA - but it's not a transfer, only a
license.  IOW, they still hold copyright on their portion.  -- justin