www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Ruby license and Ruby packaging
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:45:35 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> the ruby license is badly drafted

Care to cite a specific issue?

> it is also a dual license. (there has been legal doubt raised over the
> exact meaning of dual licenses - see
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html#x1-90004)

We have plenty of examples where we have accepted multiple licensed code
in the past.  Pretty much all MPL licensed code is either dual licensed
or even triple licensed.

> IMO these risks are sufficiently large to ask council to take a look
> before allow it

Note that we are talking 'category B' here -- which essentially means
incorporating binaries whole, and without modification.

Badly drafted but well known and widely used is often better than
apparently clear but unknown; similarly multiply licensed codebase may
create problems for some (like contributors) and not for others.

> - robert

- Sam Ruby