www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ruby license and Ruby packaging
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:21:47 GMT
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:00 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 10/8/07, J Aaron Farr <farra@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Bringing this thread back from the dead...

> > > Actually, I believe that's the crucial bit here.  If it weren't for
> > > the fact that .gem files are exploded upon installation this
> > > discussion would be very straightforward.
> > >
> > > I believe that the license in question will fit into "Category B", the
> > > only question remaining would be how we can document and package our
> > > downloads in ways that "minimize the chance that a user of an Apache
> > > product will create a derivative work of a reciprocally-licensed
> > > portion of an Apache product without being aware of the applicable
> > > requirements."
> > >
> > > I have to believe that this is possible.  To believe otherwise would
> > > essentially lock much of the development of Ruby code out of the ASF,
> > > which would be rather unfortunate.
> >
> > Do we have any definitive word about the Ruby License here in Apache?
> > It does seem to fit into Category B, however, we'd have to make it
> > clear that we're distributing it under the optional conditions.
>
> Hearing no objections, I'll explicitly add it to the Category B list
> in 72 hours.

the ruby license is badly drafted

it is also a dual license. (there has been legal doubt raised over the
exact meaning of dual licenses - see
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html#x1-90004)

IMO these risks are sufficiently large to ask council to take a look
before allow it

- robert