www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ruby license and Ruby packaging
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:16:24 GMT

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

"Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net> writes:

> On 8/31/07, Erik Abele <erik@codefaktor.de> wrote:
>>
>> No, it doesn't matter, we can still license our own work as we see
>> fit, but see below.
>
> Actually, I believe that's the crucial bit here.  If it weren't for
> the fact that .gem files are exploded upon installation this
> discussion would be very straightforward.
>
> I believe that the license in question will fit into "Category B", the
> only question remaining would be how we can document and package our
> downloads in ways that "minimize the chance that a user of an Apache
> product will create a derivative work of a reciprocally-licensed
> portion of an Apache product without being aware of the applicable
> requirements."
>
> I have to believe that this is possible.  To believe otherwise would
> essentially lock much of the development of Ruby code out of the ASF,
> which would be rather unfortunate.

Do we have any definitive word about the Ruby License here in Apache?
It does seem to fit into Category B, however, we'd have to make it
clear that we're distributing it under the optional conditions.

(Grumbles about why can't people just stick to existing licenses
instead of making up new ones...)

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905