www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Fwd: Code Grant for NMS implementation for Tibco EMS
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:34:01 GMT
/me wishes reply-to was pointed at the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hiram Chirino <hiram@hiramchirino.com>
Date: Oct 8, 2007 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: Code Grant for NMS implementation for Tibco EMS
To: Jennifer O'Neill <jennifer626@gmail.com>

On 10/8/07, Jennifer O'Neill <jennifer626@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > #1: right now the module is going to be named something like nms-tibco
> > > and produce a NMS.Tibco.dll file.  Tibco is a trademarked name.. would
> > > we run into problems in shipping a module named NMS.Tibco.dll ???
>
> The issue is that the inclusion of "Tibco" may create confusion as to
> the source of the code.  ASF would be using this name for software
> that falls within the scope of goods identified in TIBCO Software's
> registration with the US PTO.  Thus, TIBCO could potentially claim
> trademark infringement on those grounds.  While the software can be
> described and marketed as "for use with TIBCO" or something similar, I
> advise against including Tibco in the module name.

Thanks for the feedback.  I was thinking something along those lines
also.  Do you think it would be good enough to call the module
nms-4-ems.  Takes the company name of the module and makes it more
obvious that its for use with EMS.

BTW... if you search through the ASF maven repository, you will find
similar scenarios where projects are releasing modules that have the
external project names as part of the module name.

> > > #2 This module has dependencies on the Tibco client libraries which
> > > are not open source.  We will not be shipping these binaries.  Is it
> > > OK to depend on them?  I assume this is no different than depending on
> > > Windows dlls, but I just want to verify this is a correct assumption.
>
> If the TIBCO client libraries are external dependencies and won't be
> shipped with your module (in whole or in part), you shouldn't have a
> licensing problem but will probably want to describe the dependency in
> your README file.

Yep.. that's the case. thanks!

> Cheers,
>
> Jennifer