www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Should we be warning Committers?
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:17:59 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> Please see:
>>>   http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Oct-03.html
>>>   http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9790795-16.html
>>> for a discussion of issues related to proprietary code being exposed by
>>> Microsoft.
>>>
>>> I know that the Harmony project discusses similar issues, but should we
>>> ensure that the broader ASF Community is clued in?  What are the actual
>>> risks of exposure and contamination, for example?
>> None.  People still don't understand the difference between copyright
>> and trade secrets, and I doubt we can do a better job by pretending we
>> can explain them to our own committers.  At best we could ask one of
>> the legal folks to write an article.

It seems that an article, or references to one, might be a good idea.

> Ditto, there's nothing to see here.  MS has for a very, very long time
> shipped the sources to their clib, their mfc and atl classes etc.  Now
> they are doing the same for .NET (and they already did of non-production
> implementation example with Rotor).
>
> None of these have ever been licensed as open source.  Can you point out
> some explicit case that one of our developers working on ASF code would
> be likely to trip over?

How do the concerns raised by Miguel de Icaza and others regarding the .NET framework sources
differ those addressed by Harmony's "Authorized Contributor Questionnaire" (http://harmony.apache.org/auth_cont_quest.html)?
 As I read Harmony's document, having read the source code for java.*, published in src.jar
with each release, disqualifies you from contributing to the related area in Harmony.

So which is it?  Does the situation differ, or should the handling be the same?  And where
does one draw the distinction?  Does it effect Harmony because it is implementing those classes,
as opposed to being a user of them?

	--- Noel