www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Public domain artifacts distributed with Apache projects
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:45:44 GMT
Hi,

The current draft of the licensing policy here http://
people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html doesn't mention public domain
artifacts. Some of these artifacts are .jpg, .tiff, .mpg, etc. where
there is no obvious place to add a notice in the file itself.

There are a few cases where my projects need to distribute artifacts
that have no embedded license and the associated comments are to the
effect of "This is public domain. Feel free to use it or not, but
don't bother me."

It seems that we should have a policy for attributing these
contributions explicitly so there is no issue as to their provenance,
and especially in case someone shows up later claiming some IP for them.

And where would RAT look for a NOTICE for these files?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com