www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Public domain artifacts distributed with Apache projects
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 01:09:46 GMT
Hi Robert,

I should have been more clear. The artifacts were not explicitly
donated to Apache. They were found whilst trolling the internet and
incorporated into the projects since there is no restrictive
licensing issue.

What I think we could do is to reference all of the "public domain"
files by the NOTICE file that contains the subject file's current
location within the distribution, the original location whence the
file was downloaded, and the "public domain" notice found associated
with the file.

Would RAT be able to "connect the dots" here? How can we add enough
bread crumbs to avoid lots of RAT exceptions each time we run RAT?
For the purposes of vetting the RAT report, I'd think we might name
some directory in the path "public-domain" so it's at least easy to
scan the RAT report, knowing that we have this pattern in place.

With regard to some rdf data, I suspect we don't have time to put
this in place. Sounds like a significant pile of work. Or was the
once-and-future RAT project going to set this in motion?

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!