www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jennifer O'Neill" <jennifer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code Grant for NMS implementation for Tibco EMS
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 23:41:17 GMT
> > #1: right now the module is going to be named something like nms-tibco
> > and produce a NMS.Tibco.dll file.  Tibco is a trademarked name.. would
> > we run into problems in shipping a module named NMS.Tibco.dll ???

The issue is that the inclusion of "Tibco" may create confusion as to
the source of the code.  ASF would be using this name for software
that falls within the scope of goods identified in TIBCO Software's
registration with the US PTO.  Thus, TIBCO could potentially claim
trademark infringement on those grounds.  While the software can be
described and marketed as "for use with TIBCO" or something similar, I
advise against including Tibco in the module name.

> > #2 This module has dependencies on the Tibco client libraries which
> > are not open source.  We will not be shipping these binaries.  Is it
> > OK to depend on them?  I assume this is no different than depending on
> > Windows dlls, but I just want to verify this is a correct assumption.

If the TIBCO client libraries are external dependencies and won't be
shipped with your module (in whole or in part), you shouldn't have a
licensing problem but will probably want to describe the dependency in
your README file.

official ASF policies and documents.