www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 'Handling Crypto..' - River project
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:29:09 GMT
Carl Trieloff wrote:

> Thanks, William,
>
> I have come to learn that most of OSS is about getting the legal
> right... and I spend may hours on legal every week. What is involved
> in becoming a member? I would be glad to contribute.

With respect to becoming part of the legal committee, usually starts with
helping out on this list; you'll see a number of questions every month,
and yes, deciphering both the intent of the ASF and the actual letter of
the licenses, CLA's, cCLA's and grants can get very interesting.  Your
input here is welcomed (e.g. the name, -discuss).  Those who demonstrate
familiarity and champion our end-goals are the sorts of folks we want on
the legal committee (along with our pro-bono counsel's help).

With respect to becoming an ASF member, simply a compelling nomination
by one of the existing members which is considered at our annual or the
occasional special members meetings.

Bill