www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Should we be warning Committers?
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 21:18:38 GMT
Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> I just want to caution that what you say about a "clean room" implementation
> avoiding copyright infringement is true, but it doesn't apply to patents.

Exactly why you want to cleanroom the results of the operations (less-risky)
than the mechanism of the operations (more-risky, more prone to trip over their
specific patent description).

No matter what we won't avoid tripping a patent mine somewhere, but we can
at least mitigate the likelihood of doing so.