www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Should we be warning Committers?
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:53:53 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>
>> How do the concerns raised by Miguel de Icaza and others regarding the
>> .NET framework sources differ those addressed by Harmony's "Authorized
>> Contributor Questionnaire"
>> (http://harmony.apache.org/auth_cont_quest.html)?  As I read Harmony's
>> document, having read the source code for java.*, published in src.jar
>> with each release, disqualifies you from contributing to the related
>> area in Harmony.
>
> That was our choice to ensure that there was no possibility of code
> making it accidentally over the line, because sun shipped their source
> all over the place.  It was a natural thing to debug into it in many
> environments.
>
> Sun made it very clear that the weren't going to formally disclaim any
> interest in "structural similarity", which I am sure we're going to have
> given we have smart people implementing the same classes to the same
> spec, so we went the conservative route.

Exactly.  There are certain projects *here* such as the MS document
parsers that would and should avoid looking at MS implementations of the
code.  But that group already knows that.  These are all special cases.

>> So which is it?  Does the situation differ, or should the handling be
>> the same?  And where does one draw the distinction?  Does it effect
>> Harmony because it is implementing those classes, as opposed to being
>> a user of them?
>
> It was the Harmony project choice, not a requirement or request of the
> ASF or the Incubator.  We wanted to be as sure as we could that we
> limited the problems that could happen later.  The current TCK battle is
> proof that we were right in thinking this way, because clearly Sun
> doesn't want this to happen.

And I'm sure that the mono project will adopt similar.

For example, you won't catch me touching any IIS interface sources
to ASP.NET with a 10 foot poll given my mod-aspdotnet module.

That said, there is really no reason to call this out except on a project
by project basis.  There is nothing *new* here, but there is the same
common sense that one needed to apply a week ago before the hullabaloo.

Bill