www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Should we be warning Committers?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:12:22 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2007, at 7:46 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> Please see:
>>
>>   http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Oct-03.html
>>   http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9790795-16.html
>>
>> for a discussion of issues related to proprietary code being exposed by
>> Microsoft.
>>
>> I know that the Harmony project discusses similar issues, but should we
>> ensure that the broader ASF Community is clued in?  What are the actual
>> risks of exposure and contamination, for example?
>
> None.  People still don't understand the difference between copyright
> and trade secrets, and I doubt we can do a better job by pretending we
> can explain them to our own committers.  At best we could ask one of
> the legal folks to write an article.

Ditto, there's nothing to see here.  MS has for a very, very long time
shipped the sources to their clib, their mfc and atl classes etc.  Now
they are doing the same for .NET (and they already did of non-production
implementation example with Rotor).

None of these have ever been licensed as open source.  Can you point out
some explicit case that one of our developers working on ASF code would
be likely to trip over?

This merits no comment from the ASF, because it is the 1999 status quo.

Bill