www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Public domain artifacts distributed with Apache projects
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 04:13:20 GMT
On 10/24/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:

> AIUI this is not the case of software donation to apache (whether
> implied or exlicit) but of third party documents under license (please
> jump in and correct me if i'm wrong). IMHO apache needs to handle this
> latter class of documents in a more sophisticated way including
> recording explicit meta-data.

Agreed on having a more sophisticated method for handling licensing,
except, with public domain it's a case of someone saying:

"I grant all rights to the public"

There's no license. There's nothing that should appear at the top of
the source files and no special files which exist except for some kind
of statement of public domain - which is usually on the website it's
hosted at. RAT should not be of any use, because it's perfectly fine
for me to find some public domain and commit it at the ASF as my own
code. So we need a copy of the webpage somehow.

We can treat it in one of two ways I think:

1) View it as a license - add a note to notice and redistribute under
public domain.
2) View it as AL 2.0 - ie) a grant made to us (and the rest of the
world) that we then treat as our own source.

I say this all with only half a clue :)

Hen