www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Public domain artifacts distributed with Apache projects
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:05:10 GMT

> There are a few cases where my projects need to distribute artifacts
> that have no embedded license and the associated comments are to the
> effect of "This is public domain. Feel free to use it or not, but
> don't bother me."
>
> It seems that we should have a policy for attributing these
> contributions explicitly so there is no issue as to their provenance,
> and especially in case someone shows up later claiming some IP for them.
>
> And where would RAT look for a NOTICE for these files?

It seems to me that this is not a question of licensing, but a
question of incubating new code. If we take public domain and
redistribute it, we can (do?) become the copyright holders and we
would license it under AL 2.0 (by which the RAT question becomes
unnecessary).

We should mention in the NOTICE that said artifacts were originally
public domain, but we wouldn't need a license file for it as it is
covered by AL 2.0. Instead we are talking about an implied software
grant whereby we need to record something with the statement of public
domain at the time we pull it into our repository.

Least that's my 4 cents,

Hen