www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Third-party licensing policy: OSL 3.0
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2007 06:56:59 GMT
On 10/20/07, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > I'm sure this will irk Larry, but one source of commentary on both OSL
> > and AFL is the GPL compatibility page:
> >
> > "Recent versions of the Open Software License have a term which
> > requires distributors to try to obtain explicit assent to the license.
> > This means that distributing OSL software on ordinary FTP sites,
> > sending patches to ordinary mailing lists, or storing the software in
> > an ordinary version control system, is arguably a violation of the
> > license and would subject you to possible termination of the license.
>
> What irks me is that this is more hogwash from FSF. "Reasonable efforts" to
> obtain express assent can be entirely compatible with FTP distribution or
> the other techniques they mention. OSL 3.0 does not require specific assent
> mechanisms.
>
> > The FSF assessment seems pretty fair; there's no way we'll be making
> > any effort to get assent beyond putting the license in the LICENSE
> > file.
>
> If what you do now is "reasonable under the circumstances," what makes you
> think that OSL/AFL 3.0 would require more than that?

My thinking was that more than the license file would be needed to
imply assent; partly because I was thinking the license told us to
maintain the license file. In OSL's case, it does, we would have to
keep the OSL license, but with AFL we could relicense the AFL work as
AL 2.0 if we so wanted.

People do click throughs on the web for downloads, so that would be
reasonable under the circumstances of a download; however we do
mirroring with an extremely low level of requirement on the mirrors -
flat files only - so that would make it unreasonable for us to do
clickthroughs.

If Sam/Legal committee are happy with that, then I propose Category A
for AFL and Category B for OSL.

Hen