www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Proper wording to describe httpd and the ASF
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:38:56 GMT
On 29.10.2007, at 14:56, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> It appears that it could be read that a Linux distro could
> provide a private version of Apache. The Linux license
> prevents this. Are you not trying to say this?

What do you mean with "private version"? A lot of Linux distros are
applying non-ASF originated patches for example (and they'd have to
actually rename their pkgs but that's another story). Or do you think
about closed-source / proprietary versions?

On 29.10.2007, at 15:06, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> ok, why not just this then
>

> Most [linux] distributions come with the Apache Webserver
> (http://httpd.apache.org/), a free webserver built and
> owned by the Apache Software Foundation
>

> - the way it is in the first pass would never get
> past our legal as is implies things of Linux which
> are not correct.

Huh? I really think you're reading things into that which are simply
not there. The sentence doesn't imply anything of Linux - it just
says that a lot of Linux distros are coming with that piece of software.

And who is "our legal"?

Cheers,
Erik