www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Has anyone looked at the Groovy license for compatibility with Apache v2?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:41:20 GMT
On 9/16/07, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> The license is here: http://groovy.codehaus.org/license.html
>
> It has a limitation for products "derived from this Software".  I'm not
> sure if just "using" groovy, in the sense that you include some groovy
> source and the groovy jars that enable it to run, in your product, would
> fall under the "derived" clause.
>
> The limitation is to not promote/endorse your derived product using the
> name "groovy", without permission, and your product name can't include
> "groovy".
>
> There is a clause:
>
> 5. Due credit should be given to The Codehaus -
>     http://groovy.codehaus.org/

That license was a cut and paste of the Apache 1.x license a few years
ago IIRC. I saw a thread where we all voted to use ASF 2.x. e.g. if
you look in the current source trunk...

http://svn.codehaus.org/groovy/trunk/groovy/groovy-core/LICENSE.txt

so AFAIK its now Apache 2.0. Its maybe worth pinging further, maybe
thats an old wiki page with the old license?

--
James
-------