www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to handle BSD licensed non-ASF copyrighted source files?
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:20:03 GMT
On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 11:19 +0200, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we (Apache JAMES project) wrote a "micro" dns-server that is able to
> provide fake replies upon configuration (also timeouts) based on a YAML
> configuration [1].
>
> To create the micro dns server I studied dnsjava [2] source code and I
> started up from the jnamed.java source code [3]. "jnamed.java" is a
> single java file that can be found in the source distribution of dnsjava
> 2.0.5 and is not included in the binary library.
>
> dnsjava is distributed under the BSD license [4] and the only comments
> in the file header are:
> // Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Brian Wellington (bwelling@xbill.org)
> and
> /** @author Brian Wellington &lt;bwelling@xbill.org&gt; */
>
> I refactored the code a lot for my purposes, and splitted it into
> multiple files. So the code "looks" different, but it is almost the same
> thing.
>
> What is the correct way to manage Copyright/Licensing in a similar scenario?
>
> What should the headers look like? Where should I write that that work
> is based on a BSD work by Brian Wellington ?
>
> At the moment we placed both the ASF-ASLv2 header and this one:
> ------------------
> // ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE
> // ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE
> //
> // Part of this class have been inspired and copy&pasted from the
> jnamed.java
> // file found in the root of the dnsjava-2.0.5 distribution file.
> //
> // The Copyright for the original work is:
> // Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Brian Wellington (bwelling@xbill.org)
> //
> // The License for the dnsjava-2.0.5 package is BSD
> ---------------------------

i think that the wording could be improved. perhaps something along the
lines of:

/*
 * This work is derived from 'jnamed.java' distributed in
 * 'dnsjava-2.0.5'. This original is licensed as follows:
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2005, Brian Wellington
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 *     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
<<BSD LICENSE IN FULL>>
 *
 * Modifications are                                            *
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one   *
 * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file *
 * distributed with this work for additional information        *
 * regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file   *
 * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the            *
 * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance   *
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at   *
 *                                                              *
 *   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0                 *
 *                                                              *
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,   *
 * software distributed under the License is distributed on an  *
 * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY       *
 * KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the    *
 * specific language governing permissions and limitations      *
 * under the License.                                           *

my reading of the BSD license is that for redistribution in source, the
full license text must be retained. so, the full text should be present
(though the original author has not bothered to add a license text to
each individual file in this case).

opinions?

- robert