www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has anyone looked at the Groovy license for compatibility with Apache v2?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:30:10 GMT
On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 16:57 -0400, Kevan Miller wrote:

<snip>

> Hope you don't mind if I clarify a few things for my edification...

not at all

> The Groovy build has a hard dependency on jarjar. An Apache project
> could not have such a "hard" dependency, but that's not a problem for
> Groovy...

AIUI that's not quite right

IIRC httpd has a build dependency on make which is GPL. this kind of
dependency is (usually) not transitive from a licensing perspective. in
addition to simple license compatibility, apache has policy. it's policy
that prevents a project hosting GPL'd artifacts used in a build.

> The Groovy build basically execs jarjar to generate new jar artifacts
> during the build... This puts the linkage in the "aggregation"
> category and thus has no license implications on other Groovy artifacts.
>
> Do I have that right?

that's the way i understand things

- robert