www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has anyone looked at the Groovy license for compatibility with Apache v2?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:34:21 GMT
On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 17:38 -0400, Marshall Schor wrote:
> It was pointed out to me that the groovy binary distribution includes in
> its /lib directory, jarjar-0.6.jar, which is licensed under the GPL.
>
> I asked about this on the groovy user's list, and got this reply:

the key question is whether the inclusion is by aggregation or a
derivation. in this case, it looks like it's by aggregation and should
be ok. however, clarity is good and it would be better if jarjar
followed autoconf and added an explicit exclusion clause covering the
typical use case.

(ATM apache's policy would not allow a GPL'd jar to be distributed from
our servers but that's a different matter)

- robert