www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Distribution of CDDL licensed xsd and dtd files
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 05:58:31 GMT

On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:13 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>>
>> So a definition that reads "preferred form ... for making
>> modifications"
>> doesn't at all imply that anyone wants to actually make and
>> distribute
>> modifications, as long as ASF is not prohibited by the copyright
>> owner from
>> doing so under the Apache License 2.0.
>
> Exactly.  Since AL2 isn't copyleft, and CDDL has some copy-leftish
> provisions,
> but these files are distributed under AL2 -always in source form-,
> there is
> no issue that the downstream users would violate the copy-leftish
> provision
> of the CDDL (and, the CDDL is not viral).

Excuse me, but we are *not* changing the license on these files. They
will continue to be shipped in Apache bundles under their original
GPL/CDDL license, and not the Apache Version 2 license. As such, the
licenses need to be called out in the LICENSE file of the
distribution and the source/binary/whatever files will still contain
their own unmodified license and copyright notices just as we found
them.

Or am I completely missing your point?

Craig