www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Ruby license and Ruby packaging
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:30:29 GMT
On 30.08.2007, at 00:53, Matthieu Riou wrote:

> We're thinking of proposing buildr [1] for the Apache Incubator.
> However buildr is a Ruby project and there are a few associated
> legal hurdles on the way. So I have a few questions:
>
> 1. The Ruby interpreter is not really a problem (just like the JDK
> isn't a problem), however a lot of libraries in the Ruby ecosystem
> reuse the Ruby license [2]. Is it compatible with the ASL and would
> it be authorized for third-party inclusion in an Apache work?

I don't think so since it seems that the Ruby license is a bit more
restrictive than the AL2.0.

> 2. Ruby distribution heavily relies on the RubyGems [3] packaging
> system. In many ways it's very similar to Linux packaging systems,
> like APT. In short it handles third party dependencies for a given
> software by installing them, after asking. So if you try to install
> "foo" and if "foo" depends on "bar" and "baz", it will ask you
> whether you also want to install "bar" and "baz" and if so, will
> download them from a central repository and install them for you.
> In this context, does the licenses of third-party dependencies
> matter as none of them are actually distributed?

No, it doesn't matter, we can still license our own work as we see
fit, but see below.

> Buildr as several dependencies toward Ruby License third party
> softwares and a couple ones toward LGPL software (that wouldn't be
> that easy to remove), which normally wouldn't be kosher at all.
> However given that none of them are distributed, would that matter?

I remember some dicussions about hard and soft dependencies and
afaicr it was considered crucial to get rid of hard dependencies on
code whose license is more restrictive
than the AL.

There's a posting [1] which should help explaining the situation but
in the end you'll have to sort out these things in the Incubator so
I'd suggest to simply take it over there...

HTH...

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/roller-dev/200511.mbox/%