www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:27:14 GMT
David Jencks ha scritto:

> On Aug 3, 2007, at 2:03 AM, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>

> <giant snip>
>> I didn't follow the full thread, but if CDDL licensed files exists for
>> this dtd I would include them *as* *is* (cddl header): I share the
>> interpretation that a dtd file that is not to be used as source to
>> generate a binary can be considered a binary wrt the CDDL and ALv2
>> licenses.
>
> I see this "it's a binary" point of view being expressed fairly often.
> IMO this is a questionable point of view.

Let's take the CDDL: CDDL defines "Source Code" at 1.12 and "Executable"
in 1.4. Everything depends on how we read that 2 definitions.

1.4. “Executable” means the Covered Software in any form other than
Source Code.

1.12. “Source Code” means (a) the common form of computer software code
in which modifications are made and (b) associated documentation
included in or with such code.

Can you tell us (using your interpretation) what is the Source Code and
what is the Executable of this xsd files?

Can you also point to the CDDL point that you think prevents ASF from
redistributing that (SUN copyrighted, CDDL licensed) XSD files inside an
ASF product?

Stefano