www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Distribution of CDDL licensed xsd and dtd files
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:34:56 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> The current draft of the 3rd party licensing policy --
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html -- lists CDDL as a category
> B (binary license file). Assuming this is accurate, the question then
> becomes are dtd/xsd files source or binary?

This was asked and answered; they are neither our conventional definition
of source, nor an illegible binary format.  They are sources are not used
in any compiled form, and therefore any reciprocal or copyleft requirement
is not a problem.  They are always used in source form under any application
and therefore meet the reciprocal or copyleft requirement in any case without
additional license burdens for 'binary builds'.

Does that make more sense?