www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:55:38 GMT

> Sam, I agree on this. ASF legal-team should provide an explicit
> guideline in the 3rd party licenses to make clear what we are supposed
> to do in this case.

In case anybody missed the announcement, not only am I on the
legal-team, but I'm also its current chair.

Until the dust settles, I'm asking that all SUN
PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL dtd's and xsd's be removed.  For the moment,
they can be be replaced by CDDL licensed equivalents (if available)
but only if the only ways that particular product uses these materials
is directly via their original source form.  If, however, any of these
files are used by the product in question as input to a 'compilation
step' of any sort, then they should be replaced by the binary outputs
instead (i.e., class "B" artifacts).

If anybody has any problem with this (either affected products as this
is an unreasonable burden, or legal-internal folks as this
inconsistent with ASF principles), please let me know ASAP.  In the
event that I don't hear any objection in the next 72 hours, I will
make a minor update to the 3party draft some time next week.

- Sam Ruby